Friday 23 November 2012

Evaluation

1) In what way does you media product use, develop or challenge conventions of real media products?
     


Front Cover
My music magazine magazine mostly uses the codes and conventions of real rock music magazines.The masthead on both of the magazines are on the left hand side, and the mast head is quite noticeable.The mast head is normally on the top of the magazine, so that when the magazine is in the store, you can see what kind of magazine it is, when it is stocked next to other magazines you can easily see the mast head because it is on the top.

Another thing that makes my magazine look like a real music magazine is the model. On Q's magazine, Cheryl has a intense look, she is licking her ring, she has wet hair and dark makeup. That reflects the stereotypical aspect towards females. The same with my model. She has a intense look, she is revealing her skin, with her jacket down like that and she is wearing dark make up.

On Q's magazine they have written the main story with big writing, same as my magazine. I have written down a few things that you can read in my magazine on the left hand side, the same as Q.

I used the colour red through the whole magazine. On my front cover a lot of the writing is red, the same is her shirt under the leather jacket. the same with my contents page. three out of four models is wearing red. because red represents rebellious and bad. The same does the genre rock.







Contents Page My writing is on the left of the page, because when people read they read from left to right. Q also has the writing on the left, so that makes my contents page look like a real one. It is conventional for contents pages to be organized in to columns. My example for Q magazine is that it has been organized in tree columns. Same as my magazine.
Another thing that is usually on a contents page, is to have numbers on the pictures  so that you can look at a picture and find what Page it is right away.


Double Page Spread
It is quite normal to have a large splash image on the left hand side takes up one side of the page. And the text on the other side of the page.
Almost every magazine's double page spread has a large header with a strap line under it, so that you can get an understanding of what the story is about.
The text of interview is often splitted into tree or four columns.
A lot of magazines also often have a question and answer that they ask their celebrity.

                                                                                           



2)

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

Gender
My magazine represents gender in a special way. The normal way to represent women is the stereotypical way where the females are sexually attractive, wears not that much clothes and reveals quite a lot.
But my main model is dressed with a leather jacket, dark makeup and long messy hair. But when it comes to the gender rock, the stereotypical woman is quite rebellious and bad.

Age

The people in my magazine are young.Young people are represented as people who are interested with their appearance. Their looks are very important to them, my models shows that. young people are also very confident with themselves. are not afraid to show who they are and what they want. 

Social groups
The social groups in my magazine are rock-punks. They are represented as rebellious people. who wears a lot of dark clothes.their phallic symbols might be a guitar.

Class
The class that represents my my magazine might me middle class, lower upper class.
The people in my magazine is quite successful and well educated.



3)
Who is going to publish your magazine?
I would have chosen between Bauer media or IPC media.
Bauer media already produces a rock magazine, but they already know the target audience, so they would know what to do with my magazine. They are also a very successful company, so they would have a good financial backing. They would support with contests, and maybe have a bit more expensive contests.

But on the other side, if i chose to go with IPC media that would also be positive. Because IPC does not publish any rock magazines, so that is a gap in the market for me, so that my magazine could me the only rock magazine that IPC publishes, so that i don't have to compete with another rock magazine which gets published by the same publisher.

4) Who would be the the audience for your media product?
 My target audience for my magazine are male and females at the age from 17- 25. I found that out from doing a survey.
My target audience also likes rock music, likes the festivals and concerts that my magazine has.
 The way I attract my target audience is trough the fashion that my models are wearing and though what is in my magazine.

5) How did you attract/ address your audience?
I attracted my audience by having a contest on my front cover about winning concert tickets to any concert of their choice. That might attract any rock loving person. Because if they can choose any concert they want, they might choose a band that is not very well known, so if they can not afford that concert ticket, that concert ticket might mean a lot to them.

I'm having an exclusive interview with my front cover model, and I wrote that with big writing to attract my audience, because big writing is very eye catching. The word exclusive attracts a lot of people who is interested in reading about the latest gossip and news.

6) What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
In the beginning of our course work we made out own blog. I have never had a blog before, so i learnt a lot of interesting things, and I am still learning.
 When i did my research I used a mac, which i have never tried before, so i 
learned how to use that.
When I planned everything we used in InDesign.  I had never tried that either, so my teachers thought me to use that.
When we produced our product, we used p
hotoshop to make the front cover, contents page and  double page spread.
Before we started making our magazines I had never tried photoshop. So I learned how to edit, put on different layers, importing fonts on Dafont.com,  from their website on to my product on photoshop.

7) Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
I've learnt how to research for the right things.
In the beginning when we made our college magazine, I did not know anything about making a magazine.
At first we did some research about what we wanted to have in our magazine, like what kind of stories and photos.
After that we learned how to use InDesign, for our front cover and contents page.
We wrote our stories for our magazine, took the photos, and I got my finished product.
I have learned a lot from when we first started making magazines 
until now.
I have learned  how you  plan your music magazine, how to take photos and edit them in photoshop.




No comments:

Post a Comment